Pandas, Politics and Pro Football

A variety of observations predicated on seven decades of life.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What's Happening With You?

It's been a quiet few weeks. Not much going on with pro football or Panda's. The McNair issue is still up in air. The parties met today to hear Steve's grievance on not being allowed to work out at the Sport's Park. The sport's guys say it could be 10 days before a ruling is made. This is all a stupid tap dance because they aren't going to re-up their relationship. Steve is gone, but the Titans are wanting something for him or if they can't get anything, they are going to hold on to him so he will miss training camp with whatever future team signs him on. (The Ravens.) Just business, kids, just business!

I had one very interesting experience last Friday. Hendersonville held their annual RELAY FOR LIFE (American Cancer Society fund raiser) at the high school from 7:00 pm thru 7:00 am. People in the community form teams and for twelve hours, there is some member of a team walking the track in honor of the people who have died of cancer or, more importantly, to support the people who currently have cancer. This effort raises a good deal of money through having a goal of at least $100 per team member as well as other spectators buying luminaries in the name of someone or the sale of many other offerings from food to a variety of goods.

The track is lined with vendors (food, massage, products, games) both on the inside and outside of the track. There was also a large bandstand that had great entertainment all night long by many local and Nashville artists.

I had never participated in RELAY FOR LIFE, but some friends began talking about it and I volunteered I was a cancer survivor. That's something I've not discussed with anyone the past 30 years, but it was a fact so they insisted I sign up as a survivor. On Friday night, with some trepidation, I drove over to the high school where I was confronted with about 5,000 people and was ushered to a dinner table for about 80 - 90 other survivors. We were served a nice dinner and given a deep purple tee shirt that claimed "I Survived!" After dinner, we were asked to sit by the bandstand and we were introduced. We were supposed to stand up when our name was called, but it seemed the pastor who called the names in my group was uncomfortable and sped through the names so no one really had a chance to jump up which was ok with me!

After this recognition, we were asked to stand behind two people holding a banner on the track and follow them around. We gathered and began walking. As we walked, all the other spectators stood on each side of the track and began cheering and clapping for us. It was absolutely overwhelming to me! I think because I've always been reticent about my cancer experience, I probably had never come to terms with my loss. This walk was an unexpected and joyous healing for me as well as some of my companions on the walk. I am truly grateful I was able to participate in this united community affair.

Even if you've never had cancer, if they hold a RELAY FOR LIFE in your town, please go, it'll be a wonderful experience and it would help raise money for fighting cancer that can hit any of us!

So what's happenin' with you? Appreciate your comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home