Pandas, Politics and Pro Football

A variety of observations predicated on seven decades of life.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Republican, Heterosexual and Christian

Too bad I feel I have to identify myself as I have in the title, but because I'm appalled by the stance of my local State Representative, Debra Maggert, on adoption of foster children by homosexuals, I want you to know I'm not a Democrat, Homosexual or non-Christian. Ms. Maggert has said that because there are many studies indicating that gay's are "dysfunctional" because of emotional "issues," they, therefore, can not adopt children.

Well, in addition to the labels above, I am also a certified foster parent in the State of Tennessee. I have had the opportunity to have many foster children in my home when I provided respite service. I have also worked closely with the foster parents of Sumner County so our company could meet the many needs of foster children during the Holidays. I've heard more stories than you ever want to hear of the abuse and torture some of these children suffered by their "straight" parents! I'm also sorry to say that some of these foster children have continued to suffer abuse from so-called "normal" foster parents.

I know several gay couples who would certainly provide a loving home for children who have fallen through the cracks of the system. But, it is evident that Ms. Maggert would like to see these foster children continue being in a failed system rather than them have the stability of a caring home with two committed people who love and respect each other. Ideally, I do not disagree that male/female parents could be good role models simply because they wouldn't suffer the denigration or embarassment a gay family might suffer. However, if Ms Maggert has some clear idea how everyone who exercises parental control can be measured simply by their sexuality, she should inform us. What a break through that would be!

It's hard for me to believe that the people of this District would want to continue their support for someone who is so uninformed or misinformed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home