Pandas, Politics and Pro Football

A variety of observations predicated on seven decades of life.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

IN MEMORIUM



Today I lost one of my dearest companions, Josie, my 16-1/2
year old cocker spaniel. She and her sister, Jesse, came to me
at 8 weeks old. It was the first time I had ever bought a dog, I
usually always got them at a shelter. When I first saw them,
I immediately named them because their personalities
strangely reminded me of my Mom, Josie aka Josephine,
and her sister, my Aunt Jesse.

I really didn't feel I had the money to buy both of them so I
told the breeder I would think about which one and would
return. After a day or so, I went again and told the seller I
would buy the one I had named "Josie." Well, when I began
writing the check, she could see how torn I was about leaving
"Jesse" behind so she told me that I could have "Jesse" for
free! I was elated, however, it shortly became clear that our
little "Jesse" was, indeed, a "special child." She was blind in
one eye and she struggled to learn the most rudimentary
commands. However, "Jesse" taught me more patience than
I ever thought I could have. She left us when she was 11 years
old and I always felt good that she had a far better home
with me than she ever could have had elsewhere and she was
with her beloved sister "Josie."

When it was time to register them with the AKC, I chose a
kind of curious name for "Josie." She was officially named
"Albert's Folly, Josephine." The "Albert" was after my Dad,
the "Folly" was from her championship line and, of course,
"Josephine" was for my Mom. It was amazing to me how
many times she did, in fact, remind me of Mom. She was a
leader (top dog), she was smart and she wanted things HER
way - a little bossy you might say. My parents divorced when
I was 14 and they had had a volatile relationship (most of the
volatility was Mom's) but until Dad passed, I always knew
how much he had loved my mother, but how difficult it was
to love her.

So, you see, this passing has a lot of strings to my past and it
causes me to re-visit my Mom and Dad, not just the grief I had
when I lost them, but also the very wonderful memories when
things went well. My little "Josie" was so very important to
me and nothing warmed my heart more than when she
jumped in my lap and literally put both paws around my
neck for a hug and kiss. Guess she knew I often needed it.

Rest in peace my little puppy and then go run in the meadow
with Cindy, Bon-Bon, Pepper, Crickett, Sambo, Jesse, Freckles
(her old adversary,) Buffalo Bill and y'all wait for me.
Hear?


Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay, I am so sorry to hear about Josie! My heart goes out to you in your grief. Love ya, Tina

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay,

I am sorry to hear about Josie's passing. I know you'll miss her and I know Jack is lost now.

My thoughts are with you!

Take Care
Dale

12:11 PM  
Blogger Barrier Island Girl said...

I'm very sorry to hear that Josie passed away. It took great courage for you to hold her as she passed. But it's a wonderful thing that she had you with her and felt your comfort until the end.

Oh dear, I just had the awful'ist thought. Of all her furry friends waiting on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, let's hope ol' Buffalo Bill (always remembered by me as the two-bell cat) was not the first to greet her.

I bet Jesse was waiting for Josie -- and hopefully has whipped the curmudgeonly Buffalo Bill in shape by now. :-)

My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time. I know that Lulu Belle and Jack are missing her too.

12:14 PM  
Blogger campbell said...

Thank you all for your loving and kind thoughts. It means a lot to me right now.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Kay, Words can not express my sorrow in hearing of Josie-girl's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. You have been truly blessed with wonderful companions over the years. Oh how fortunate you will be when the day comes when you are greeted by all your dearest pups and Buffalo Bill when crossing the rainbow bridge,lots of kisses and wagging tails! The wonderful memories we have of the "girls"; the fights over the open dishwasher, the late night potty breaks when Jessie would not come back inside after finding "interesting" snacks in the backyard. Find comfort in Jack and Lulu's hugs and sunggles. Love, Mimi, Gary & Brenton

7:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kay...
I am posting this at 5:00 AM in the morning. It has been nearly 48 hours since we lost our beloved Parky. Our hearts are torn assunder and our eyes have not been dry for one second. In retrospect...Parky had a "love stranglehold" on both Joyce and I. When I came home from work, Joyce would be waiting at the door with Parky and he would lay he sweet head on my chest and give me all the love in the world. Joyce and I are struggling to find meaning and solace, but so far have only found sorrow and tears. They say that time heals all wounds...but how can time mend a tear in your soul as big as the universe itself? Austin and Ashley are both coming to terms with Parky's passing. Parky was in their lives from time they were small children...they never knew a time without a Parky Doo. Our hearts break for them as well. I've read your blog and feel your pain in your loss as well. How in God's holy name will we ever come to grips with losing such furry personifications of love? I will say however, that to have Parky in my life has completely and utterly enriched my sense of being. Parky taught us all the meaning of true love...unconditional love without strings is indeed the truest and purest love God's blessed lil' creatures can bestow upon us. We love you Miss Kay...thank you for sharing this blogg with Joyce and I

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home