Pandas, Politics and Pro Football

A variety of observations predicated on seven decades of life.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

GAME ON!

How can we possibly ignore football today? Most of you know how I love the game, but this game doesn't hold much interest to me. I suppose I'll root for the Seahawks even though I'm an AFC fan, but only because they're the underdogs and they're from the west coast.

I guess this lack of interest probably goes back to the disappointment last year and this year with the Titans. Last year there was a reason: 12 of their starters were injured for most of the year. This year, it was the character of the team, too many ego's and lack of discipline. They had talent, but there wasn't unity.

A sports writer for the local paper submitted an interesting article yesterday. He compared two backs one to one. The first was Eddie George who two years ago was offered by the Titans less money and less starting time; he chose not to "compromise" himself, went to Dallas for the same money the Titans offered him and was cut at the end of the season. The other back was Jerome Bettis, who as we know now, stayed with his team for a lot less money and no guaranty of playing time. Think Eddie isn't second-guessing himself today?

To me, if there's a moral to this story, it's realizing where you fit in life's drama. If the curtain is closer to going down than going up, then why not utilize whatever your best talents are to stay in the play and be part of the team. You can't always have the lead role, but you can make a significant contribution that allows you to have a final curtain with grace and honor. I think about this a lot since I retired and I'm finding out there are still opportunities that are not only satisfying to me, but also allow me to help others in ways I never thought possible when I had a regular job. The key is being aware of alternatives and be willing to take a chance.

Anyway, hope your team wins today and that, most of all, you enjoy it whatever the outcome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home